Oil hair treatment has been known for centuries but only recently, it became popular all over the world. All started when natural cosmetics conquered the cosmetic market. It soon turned out that they have more to offer than synthetic substances developed in laboratories. Hair oiling is one of the easiest and at the same time, the most effective ways to improve hair condition, making it strong, healthy, thick and beautiful. How to apply oils to your hair in the comfort of your own home?
Hair oiling – what is it?
Hair oiling is a treatment aimed at beautifying and conditioning the hair. It can be used instead of a traditional hair mask. The procedure is more effective because the oil is to be applied not just to the hair but also rubbed into the scalp. Natural oils have excellent absorbability and reach the deepest hair structures and the bulbs. They also cleanse and nourish the scalp very effectively- without good scalp condition, you cannot even think of maintaining healthy hair.
How do natural oils affect the hair? Hair oiling advantages
- they cleanse the scalp,
- they balance sebum secretion, fight scalp dryness,
- they smooth out, improve hair shine and condition,
- they take care of the right degree of hydration,
- they strengthen the hair bubs,
- they boost hair growth,
- they prevent hair loss,
- they repair the internal hair structures,
- they protect the hair against high and low temperatures,
- they protect hair from toxins and harmful ingredients in cosmetics,
- they make your hair soft, flexible and full of vitality.
How to apply oils to your hair? – two best methods
You have no idea how to begin oil hair treatment? No worries – most women who plan to apply oils to their hair has no clue how to do it at first. Therefore, this post will be your guidance where you will find the explanation on how to apply oils in a few steps, what are the best methods, how to perform the treatment and what to prepare beforehand. Without further ado, let’s get started!
Hair oiling – method 1 – dry hair
Applying oils to dry hair is a quicker method because there is no need to wash or dampen the hair. For this method to bring desired results, you must remember that both the hair and the scalp must be thoroughly cleansed. If the hair is excessively greasy or there’s a cosmetic build-up – give up this method and just wash your hair first.
How to apply oils to dry hair?
You will need:
Clothes that can be stained with oils, a natural oil, a disposable shower cap and/or a towel, a clean toothbrush or a tint brush to apply the oil with, a wide-tooth comb, a blow-dryer.
- Brush out the hair, make sure to detangle all knots.
- Open up the oils, you can pour a bit into a saucer (about 10ml).
- Dip the brush in the oil and gradually apply it to the hair roots and the scalp (this procedure resembles doing root touch-up with a dye); you might as well do this with your fingertips if you prefer.
- Once you have your whole head covered with oil – spread it along the entire length of your hair and go through it with the wide-toothed comb. Giving your scalp a gentle massage with your fingertips will improve blood circulation and stimulate hair bulbs.
- Put on the shower cap and/or wrap your head in a towel.
- Warm it all up with the blow-dryer for several minutes.
- After about 30-60 minutes, take the towel off and apply a mask or a balm to your hair – this step will help emulsify the oil and the hair will be easier to wash with shampoo.
- Rinse out everything thoroughly and wash with shampoo. Blow-dry (or leave it to air-dry) and style as usually.
Hair oiling – method 2 – wet hair
For wet hair oiling, you will need exactly the same gadgets, and the application of the oil looks the same. The only difference is that the oil is applied to damp, previously washed, towel-dried hair and scalp. After the entire procedure, the hair must be, of course, washed once more.
Dry hair oiling vs. dry hair oiling – which one is better?
The two methods of hair oiling described are the most effective way to regenerate hair. However, it is worth remembering that the moist hair after washing is more absorbent, so the oil particles have easier access to penetrate the internal hair structures. Effect? The hair is nourished, regenerated and strengthened better. Therefore, if you only have more time – go for wet hair oiling.
Hair oiling – reviews
Hair oil treatment collects excellent reviews – today, this treatment is already offered by the majority of prestigious salons in the world. The Instagram abounds in photos of hair lovers who boast about their incredible hair makeovers after only one month of oil therapy. It is worth checking what they recommend and reading the rankings and opinions on oils to choose the best one.
In order for the oil hair treatment to work flawlessly and to be as effective as possible, it is worth remembering some useful tips and tricks:
- Choose oils suitable for your hair type – its porosity (porosity tests are available on the Internet)
- Hair oiling does not have to last for 15 or 30 minutes. The best method of hair nourishment recommended by hair lovers is to leave the oil in the hair throughout the entire night. It’s a few hours of in-depth regeneration and nutrition of hair bulbs incomparable to any other treatment.
- For hair oiling, it is worth choosing specially formulated oil blends. Such products are precisely composed and often abound in a number of other ingredients necessary for hair (such as: keratin, lanolin, panthenol, UV filters).